View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #49
FLYNAVY30

Re: 1972 C20 build and adventure thread

Day 5 of our adventure took us from Waynesville NC, through the mountains and to the official end of the rally in Rome GA. We got as high as 7000+ feet above sea level, which is of course where we encountered our only mechanical problem of the trip. I had noticed in the weeks leading up to the trip that my fuel pump would get warm, and start to wine a bit roughly 2 hours into a trip, but then if I stopped for gas, and let it cool off for a bit, it would be fine. I figured my brother-in-law's Camaro with 454 and a 4spd wasn't going to make it more than 2 hours on a tank, so I brought a spare pump and tools to be safe, but didn't give it much more thought. As I stated earlier, the problem was that I had the pump originally mounted on the rear cross member, which put it about half way down the tank. This mean that it was fine until I got below half a tank of gas, and then it had to work significantly harder to pull the fuel out of the tank. You can imagine how this scenario was exacerbated at 7000 feet, in the middle of summer. Fortunately, I managed to limp the last few hundred feet to the parking lot at the summit, where I swapped fuel pumps while the girls broke out some of the wine that had accumulated at various wineries along the trip. Obviously the new pump didn't permanently fix the problem, but after talking with the guys at Holley, I at least knew what the problem was, and made sure to top off before getting below a half tank. Its also worth pointing out at this point that the Holley Terminator EFI performed flawlessly the entire trip....including the elevation changes. The carb'd 454 Camaro did not appreciate the altitude changes at all!
Attached Images

FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote