View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #37
forestb

Re: Is patina still in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
The way its going in my neck of the woods, the bigger question is; "Are classic cars/trucks still in?"

Sure people still give you a thumbs up on the road but my fellow enthusiasts are dropping out little by little. Some for budgetary reasons, some have left CA, some have become discouraged with the amount of maintenance needed to keep an old ride in "ready to roll" form, and others have simply aged out or cashed out.

Now that the price of a C-10 and all the other old iron that used to be seen in abundance has become prohibitive for many newcomers, the younger crowds "classics" have from the factory with fuel injection. It's easy, (ahem) as an old guy, to pass many of those cars off as disposable crap, and I read stuff like that in the comments section of Hagery news aricles. But, those of us fortunate enough to afford the more expensive metal in this hobby would be ill advised to snub any fellow enthusiasts based solely on their ride as we are fast becoming the "old guys" with the cool 40' and 50's iron at the cruise nites of our youth. Those guys and those cars have all but vanished now and we are driving off into that same sunset ourselves.
I think it also has to do with what were the cool cars in your high school parking lot that you always wanted but never could afford. Now that they have gotten old and become affordable that is what starts to get restored. I am starting to see more and more late 90's pickups getting restored and 80's cars that no body would even look twice at. I know for a while the 60-66's were the trucks you restored if you could not afford a 50's or a 67-74 or so truck. Just think of square body c10s. The junk yards were full of those things and now people are asking 10 grand for log bed c20's.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote