View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 08:45 AM   #10
SuperDuperDoughnuts

Re: Caster Mod for pre 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That's interesting that your original hole is in a different spot than what has been previously reported. I would compare that new shaft to the one you take out and go from there. If it's in the same spot as your old shaft, just base your new hole location on that. If the new shaft is different than your original, then maybe they drilled it in the wrong spot? With it being at 1.25 (vs 1.75) that would put the arm in the opposite direction of what you want for this caster mod, so you'd have a really poor handling truck!
I did more digging and found this: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=209

The critical measuring reference point shouldn't be the shoulder, but rather the end of the shaft. This makes sense given how the control arm and shaft are assembled with the end caps screwing on.

Measuring from the end of the shaft to the center of the existing hole I get 3", which is the same as most other posters (give or take a couple sixteenths). So now I'm debating moving the hole 1/2" or 5/8" towards the center in an attempt to get somewhere near 4° of caster. I really just want a bit more than currently, but not enough that I become Popeye in parking lots.

Last edited by SuperDuperDoughnuts; 05-19-2023 at 08:52 AM.
SuperDuperDoughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote