Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #33
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

New rain fall record, 2.5 inches in 24 hours.... :p

Got the dust seals off the rear axle, took the first backing plate off no problem, the driver side was a different story, the rear lower bolt was locked up tight, my 1/2 drive impact wouldn't budge it. So I had on my rain gear sitting 1/2 under the truck with my BurnzOmatic torch and a cam of PB blaster for about 30 minutes but i finally got it, of course when i went to put the adapter plate on i realized that i need to run a tap thru that hole, so off to the nearest hardware store for a 1/2-20- tap, nothing but an empty slot on the rack...

Pulled the front diff cover, lots of sludge laying in the bottomg ot that cleansed out and scraped the gasket surface, the cover got scraped and hit it with a scotch brite disk, then with a little acid bath, tomorrow i can paint it.

Still debating on if i can remove the diff assembly to change the inner seals on my Dana 44-5F if anybody can add instructions or advice on removal instal Please chime in.

Pressed the rear drums off the hubs, then popped out the bearings, this is a different puppy, never done one before, first you pop out the inner seal and brg, then the inner race, then look inside and you find a snap ring, you need to tap that bearing back a little to get the snap ring out, then flip the hub. There you need a small driift that fits into the axle bolt holes the bearing will go down about .100and it becomes flush with a flange, you need a drift with a small enough diameter to catch the bearing and miss the flange lip, then tap it down until you can put a larger drift thru the center and tap the race the rest of the way out.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote