View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #9
kwmech

Re: BBC/TH400 Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Thanks for the info. Thats the ins and outs that I need to know. Ive done the conversion on a 72 blazer but I just set the engine so the bell housing stayed in place. Valve covers were close but worked.

Ive not done in on 2wd so let me ask what are the differences in trans cross member between setting engine where the factory would have (using 72 stands) and using 71 stands. I thought those would place the rear of the BB at the same plane as the SB?
No difference with the stands be it 71 or 72. GM needed to move the engine back so the fan wouldn't be too close to the radiator. I ran the 350 in my 69 with the big block stands for a couple of years before the tear down and conversion myself. It was easier for me that way not to have to deal with everything at once. I had the small block and t400 moved back in a couple of hours and had the driveshaft back the following day. When the time came for the 454 it just dropped in where it was supposed to be. That gave me time to accumulate the correct parts for the big block like the fan shroud, pulleys, brackets, hoses--etc.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote