View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 02:23 AM   #271
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

If I could tell a story since I last saw this controller, which was summer of 2016, it would be about a guy who retired from the years of deskwork he loved so much (cough!), followed by seeing the best of him turn 18, followed by a divorce. He installed landscape on his former’s bare place, for the dogs☺and with the assurance it would be right thus the phone doesn’t ring☺

Who spent a year taking care of his dying mother most days, and his step-father losing to dementia, with another landscape job to do. That’s what happens when West Virginia meets Nevada in the old man’s mind, then neglected for years. Who knew those steep hills the old man maintained before dementia took him were such a beach, my GOD!☺ Dude was tuff as nails, Marine, Vietnam, and a stint with the CIA.

Who saw his mother die, who took their dogs, one crippled & depressed though brought back for a good run to the end. The other went blind only to see full improvement was a scare. Who put his step-father into a home with regret, because he was locked away under the guidance of COVID nine months and then “died of COVID” anyhow.

Who discovered his parents saved everything and heavy hoarders on both ends, and found their garage his mother would never allow him to “re-organize” was fully mice infested, primarily where the Colonel smoked everyday for many years. Sure, right, he died of “COVID”. Imagine for a moment he was to clean that up beforehand. “Say mom, can I throw this Christmas ornament away?” “NO! I want enough to fill up 100 trees, no less☺” Who knew his mom could open Hallmark stores with back inventory. “How about this bank account statement from the 60s mom, can we get rid of that?” “Stop it!”☺ Almost a full year to prepare that place for sale, I was there most days. Good thing I’m retired ha! Timing.

The guy’s half-sister died a day after his mother. But the real shock was his sweet maternal uncle’s passing a few months later, on Jan. 1st, to announce 2020. Who knew he showed for his sister’s service when he was dying. Life cut too short, but what a life he had & what a character.

During that time he also discovered that her other brother, who was institutionalized for years had vanished from Earth. How can that be? He’s likely passed.

His last two uncles would pass in 2020 as well. Family patriarchs on both sides, all class, the classiest men he ever knew. Very accomplished and conscious, especially his mom’s uncle, the guy was key building a city, and it’s not small. Skips a generation or two☺ Men from the greatest generation or close enough, both were in their 90s. Soon after, his step-father was gone as well.

He lost another close relative, who when the colors came through they would become very clear using one simple word description, unmentioned here. They & their spouse tried to make everyone’s life they touched hell for two straight years, but the silver lining is it ends within a week of this writing, what a relief that to be, Yippee! You wouldn’t believe it. Sometimes it’s better to lose a live one than another who is gone.

Who watched the world turn upside down under the umbrella of a disease bringing the great toilet paper crises☺ Where a variant of disease was unleashed, which was just enough to vary the variants once called colds and flu. Perhaps intended to reduce populations, where many pass because of the circumstances of the disease rather than the disease itself, possibly more. And just maybe because of the financial state of debt that was sure to collapse economies as well, pending a do over of sorts, expeditiously. Hold onto your hats.

Takes more than that to beat one down, so should be our goal.

Who saw things unspoken that remind him it’s not what you know but what you don’t. Too many “coincidences” & strange, makes a guy a little spiritual.

Who watched his children with pride as the fisherman & his girl saw the country in a van and mature, finally☺. The second son graduates college in two weeks, the youngest entered nursing school, and met Prince Charming too. Always said she was like her nana, same smile, same A personality, talented, and same complexities☺ Boy is their Nana somewhere standing proud, she knew of none of it, but always high expectations.

Who doesn’t seek apologies or sympathy, just a story how so much can happen in just a span of five years from an open guy though prefers alone time too often. Heck he doesn’t even have a job, why all the drama?☺

Who when removed this controller knew very little about vehicles, but despite hesitations, and fears which there’s no shortage goes forward, only to learn how to build a . Just wasn’t raised around this stuff or even remotely, though what’s not to like about blue collar? I’ve always liked it. Near as I can tell that skips a few generations itself, same with camping, what’s not to like about that? Happy I took the jump, but would I do this again? Heck no

How about that climate controller man, I recalled it was nice when it was packed away, and five years later it doesn’t disappoint if not a surprise. It has the faintest scratch in the lens; just enough to declare it imperfect.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-30-2021 at 01:38 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote