View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: My latest project(s) body hammer restoration

This hammer I have no idea what brand it is am guessing an import model and came in a package deal as I surely wouldn’t have paid money for it. I found it tucked away in one of my hammer toolboxes and thought what the hell why not take it to the prom. At first glance it appeared to be a cast iron hammer, not good, despite the words Drop Forged cast on the bottom. The faces were rough and pitted but not from rust, looks like it went straight from the mold to a sand blaster then out the door. Did a ring test passed, did a quick spark test on the bench grinder passed as well. Since the hammer passed the cast iron tests I knew it was a good quality steel. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on this hammer so it got a quick and dirty sand and polish job. Somewhere in the sanding process I nicked the handle and put a gouge in the wood. At first I was just gonna let it be, this is supposed to be a quick and dirty clean up job. Needless to say that gouge got sand out the old finish stripped off and handle sanded baby smooth. With the handle stripped and cleaned I wanted to try something different. So I grabbed my torch and proceeded to burn the wood with a nice hot flame. Got the appearance I wanted and then sanded it again with 180. With the handle still warm I blew off the handle with compressed air and applied one coat of Tru Oil. I must say for something that was just a quick and dirty clean up job this hammer is probably my favorite, just turned out far better then what I thought.

Some random pictures of some dollies that I did, removed all the dings, rust, sanded with 2000 grit then polished to a mirror like sheen.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote