View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #44
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

I decided to move forward with the top skin replacement. Picked up the panel yesterday and cut out the old one today. About 2.5 hours to get the spot welds out, and I cut a straight line right in front of the rear seam so far. Still have to get the spot welds off the remaining short strip.

The verdict is: not as bad as I thought, but glad I did it. There is surface rust on everything, a mouse motel, and a lot of nooks and crannies to be wire wheeled and treated. I have 2 small pin holes I hadn't noticed on the interior skin right beside/under my passenger weather stripping, I am unsure If I will fix these or treat and fill.

The top skin definitely has some weaker areas near my previous repairs, you can see this in the photos.

Here are some raw photos before I cleaned out all the crap. The major areas like under the windshield (rats nest area) appear to be very solid, surprisingly. Cant test fit the panel fitment until I get the last strip out of the back seam.

I do need some more input on the metal bond from anyone with experience. I bought a tube of fusor 208b ($50) and the fusor part number gun/dispenser that fits this tube ($75 ). The dispenser is back ordered. This is a 300mL /10.1 oz tube, is there a universal dispenser I could use? Preferably a cheaper one.

Also looking for recommendations for what insulation/sound deadener to put back down.
Attached Images