View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Budget Upgrade/Build on a 1966 C10 $900 budget

Sorry I can't help you on your transmission swap questions, but I have read on othe threads that the 200r4 is pretty close in length to a turbo 350 and should be a little easier swap than the longer 700r4. I don't know how the 200r4 compares to what was in your truck though, so I'm not sure what all you would need to do.

For brakes (and steering) you can swap the whole front crossmember, a-arms and all, from a 73-87 pickup. Search the forums here a little about it, there's a couple really good threads on it. It should only require a couple bolt holes to be elongated, and the rest of it just bolts right up. You could also take just the spindles and brake parts from a 73-87, but I'm not positive if your 66 ball joints are the right size, or if they would need to be swapped for 73-87 style as well. I believe most if not all 1/2 ton trucks those years came with 15" wheels, so I presume you want 15s or bigger.

If you change your mind on the wire nuts let me know and I'll send you a pile of the ones I removed lol!

If you ever get that 6 cylinder turbo'd I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I've got a 65 Belair that would be a good candidate for a similar setup. Not sure what size carb the turbo would require, but a 650 is probably too big for a 230-250 in srock form. I think you want something closer to 500 cfm. There are some 2 barrels out there in that range as well.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote