View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #44
burnin oil

Re: 72 GMC Longbed Duramax Swap

Splitting hairs but a 31 gallon tank is a blazer tank and what I run. The 40-42 gallon was the large suburban tank and has the same basic dimensions but deeper. You should really like the tank in there along with the nice range it will provide. My dodge had a 35 gallon tank and I typically went 650 miles per tank unloaded. Keep up the good work.

To help out on the fuel pump deal here is the basics. A lift pump is what is typically called a fuel pump on a gasser. Its basic purpose is to get fuel up to the motor. Once fuel as at the motor it goes to an injection pump that boosts the pressure and sends it to the injectors. I don't know the specifics for a Dmax but the fuel pressure to the injectors can hit the 20,000-30,000psi range under some driving conditions. This high pressure in the injector rail can easily destroy injector nozzles, think sandblasting action, so make sure you incorporate a good fuel filter that is atleast 7 micron. With all this going on it is why I suggest going with a lift pump. Starving a diesel for fuel will cause a loss of power and actually decrease power. In general the air needs mean nothing to a diesel, its the fuel that makes power. There needs to be air in there to burn the fuel and help cool the pistons but the fuel ratio is not that important.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote