View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

Re: Car Audio Speaker Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobersBlueBurban
I know most people like the convenience of having the amp come on with the cd player, but I like to have my amp(s) on a switch. Basically all you have to do for that if you want to is run 14-16 ga. cable from your power hook-up on your amp(s), to a switch, then from the other terminal on the switch to your remote hook-up on your amp(s). This is most helpful if you are running multiple amps, especially for regular speakers and 1 for sub. and you want to turn your amp off for your sub and/or turn off the other amp(s).
Not trying to shoot your post out of the water, but that's a really inefficient way to run it, there's a cleaner/better solution. The proper way to do this is to use a relay, the same way you would do the relay -headlight fix on our older trucks.

Here's a quick explanation of how to use the relay in a system like your to prevent waste:

Go buy a relay ($5?)
Pick up a toggle switch.
Connect ACC power from the fusebox to one side of the toggle switch using a 18-20 gauge wire.
Connect the other side of the toggle switch to pole pole 85 on the relay.
Apply ground to pole 86 on the relay.
Put positive voltage from the battery to pole 87.
Attach the amplifier turn-on lead to pole 30.

With this setup, you are basically running the amplifier power directly to the amp (passing through the relay) and instead of running a heavy power wire from the battery to a toggle switch (which is unsafe), you'll be using the 18-20 gauge wire to "open" and "close" the relay, allowing power to remotely be added or removed.

This setup will also kill any amplifier "turn-on thump" you would typically have using a straight toggle switch, which will lengthen the life of your speakers, especially your subwoofers. It only costs $5 to setup. It also reduces the length of the power wire run, which will decrease the likelihood of loss....and you won't choke out the power by forcing your amp line to run through the switch.

I would run one dedicated relay per amplifier power wire.

An explanation of how to do it in the trucks is here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=173230

An example of how to do it with a dual electric fan setup in our trucks is here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=180436

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-28-2005 at 08:31 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote