View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #23
FirstOwner69

Re: 69/70 Grill Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Will throw this in the mix. I have 2 each 69 and 70 inserts "supposedly" NOS. (hard to prove with open boxes) Here are those side by side.
Both 69 grills have the impressions like a 70 would have but are painted. Notice the date on one box.
I am 95% sure my original '69 inner grille did not have the raised areas that were silver in 1970. I'm not sure if the entire face of the horizontal ribs were raised or if the raised portions were added in 1970. However, I believe sanding these off the horizontal portions of the egg crate and painting it as described in my post above would replicate the '69 grille. Again, I'm not 100% sure here since mine was replaced with the '70 style GM part 48 years ago. I vividly recall not being pleased with the new inner and outer grilles. Unfortunately, I'm not near my truck or parts to confirm some of this. Input from others with originals would be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
And an outer. Notice the date again.
That looks exactly like the GM outer grille that was put on my truck in early 1972. I have the repair invoice on file that indicates both replacement grilles had GM part numbers.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-24-2020 at 04:24 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote