View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
padresag

Re: 65 GMC questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
I have to admit I have never heard of Pacific trucks. Were they specifically an off-road rig, or something that stayed around northern logging mostly? I have an interest in big trucks, I used to drive heavy wrecker and we prided ourselves on having some heavy duty stuff. But 275,000?? How much motor do you have to have to budge that? Heaviest thing I ever hauled was estimated 170,000 behind a 44,000lb wrecker. Even with a turned-up N-14 Cummins making about 585 hp I could barely move it, I had to slip the clutch to get it rolling, then I couldn't get it over 35mph, and that was on pavement. Which was fast enough imo. Maybe if I'd had deeper reduction in the trans I would have had better luck.
Pacific truck and trailer came out of north vancouver, b.c.. they were shipped all over the world . they were used on highway and off highway. IHC bought them out in the mid 70's.
the one that I was talking about was a mod P12 and these were running 12v71s. there was also a P16 which were the granddaddies when it came to hauling logs. hayes and kenworth built similiar vehicles
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote