View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
pdeville96

okay big block guys,i got some questions for you

hey all,
picked up a 454 from a guy real cheap and trying to decide what to do with it and need some guidance, ive built small blocks but never gotten into a big block at all

so here it is 77 454 out or a motor home, has 781 heads, dont know much more since i haveant pulled it apart yet

im planning on putting this in and s10 pickup just to make a mean little street truck, i know want to stick with a stock rotating assembly but i want to bump up the compression while being able to run say 91 (since that is the highest i can get around here), ive read that flat tops and 781 heads only gets you to about 8.5:1.... so how big of a dome would i want to go to get maybe 9.5:1 or maybe 10:1? Everyone says to go bigger valves with the 781s, but is it really necessary if im trying to get say 450 hp? maybe just a good port and polish? or just freshen them up and run em? i also heard a comp xe274h cam works good with a set up like this? i would like to keep it a flat tappet cam... if possible, Thanks in advance guys!!
pdeville96 is offline   Reply With Quote