Thread: My 72 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #84
tucktuck

Re: My 72 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Just seeing this build. Liking it so far.

Three things I noticed.... 1st: Glad you relocated the T/A x-member. When I was looking @ the exposed thread @ the spherical bearings I was thinking they look like they're over extended from a safety perspective. With the x-member relocated, things look much better. Unfortunately the d-shaft issue becomes the result.

2nd: I wonder if the bed floors are 'stamped' for the wider/big tub install but that's all? Doing them like so allows the same floor to work w/the standard tubs or w/the big tubs (they only have to carry one part). The difference being the stock/small tubs bolt right in & the big tub install requires trimming the floor as needed. Just a theory.

3rd: 102mm DBW TB w/a 5.3l seems overkill. I'm not well versed on the LS but have been doing homework in anticipation of using one someday. I see many say the smaller 92mm ported is much easier on tuning/drivability. Curious on the motor internals/specs?
Hey Scoti,

Yeah I wasn't ever crazy about the amount of threads showing either, I'm much happier with it now. The drive shaft isn't hard to get fixed.

You're probably right about the bed floor, but it begs the question of why someone would order it and use standard width tubs?

I'll be honest, I didn't research the throttle body size as much as I could have, but my builder said most of his customers went with the 102mm, but most of his customers only drive a 1/4 mile at a time too. Once I get to tuning, I'll downsize it if it becomes an issue.

Engine was probably fine as it only had about 80k miles if I remember correct, but, I figured were going for broke on this one, so what the hell...

They tore it all down, surfaced the block and heads, diamond honed the cylinders, balanced the rotating assembly, did a valve job and ported the stock heads.

Here is the internal parts list:

DOD Delete
Wiseco Pistons
Scat forged rods
All bearings replaced
BTR cam
Trunion upgrade
BTR valve seal and spring kit
Push rods
Lifter trays
LS7 lifters
ARP head bolts
LS9 head gaskets
Melling oil pump
Billet timing set

Hindsight, I should have had the do head studs instead, as I'll probably add a supercharger before its finished...
tucktuck is offline   Reply With Quote