View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #1333
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Still working on the design stuff, drawing it out, etc. But some things are pretty well set on how it will be done. So I started ordering some steel. On the bottom left of this drawing you can see how I'm going to build the frame sections. Basically I'm sandwiching the stock frame between 2 pieces. The frame is about 1/8" thick. I'm having a C channel made that is 2-3/8" x 5". Then I'm getting 3" x 6" x .25" wall tube. I will cut off one of the short sides and it will push up and wrap the frame and C channel. I can through bolt it all in place. A new body mount will go on the tube, and the frame ends of the links will get mounted to it also. Then I can tie the roll cage into it and it should be rock solid.

Today I got the driver side body mount off, removed the shifter linkage and the driver side header.

Nice open stretch of frame to work with. Plenty of room for the exhaust to route between the transfer case and frame. That rear body mount will probably be removed also.

I'm thinking I should replace the tranny crossmember also. Have it tie into the new frame rail pieces, like the new rear crossmember will. That rear one will incorporate the upper rear link mounts and a driveshaft hoop and stabilize the frame more.

I put on the shortened top I had so I work around it for roll cage fitting.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote