View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
GMC4wheels71
Account Suspended

Re: Need info on fuel tank for 62 stepside c10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0kfg View Post
We could sit here all day and post stories of trucks catching on fire, the cab mounted tank was and is just as safe as any out here.

Even the posting you put up the cab mounted tank was of no harm to the OP being T-boned and flipping the truck was the cause of the injuries.

I can see it for more cab room but if you are afraid of the gas tank in these its time to stop driving.
Agreed. In a t-bone flip situation a gas tank anywhere on the vehicle is a direct threat to the occupants unless it has a breakaway design AND you luck out and don't have it break away and chase your butt down the pavement.

The reality is that you're more likely to protect the passenger cabin in an accident, turning to avoid a direct-to-compartment collision. In which case you'll be protecting yourself and that all-important gas tank.

That's my take on it. I've had behind the seat tanks for many years and never had a problem, nor have I ever talked with anyone that actually did have a problem. All I've heard is the second hand stories about a friend of a friend's cousin twice removed who knew someone in another county that had one that blew up.
The auto companies in these stories always fly out black helicopters to ray gun the bodies and autos so no evidence is left behind. That's why you never see them on the news

Of course, it's your car. If you wanna move it, sic 'em!

Last edited by GMC4wheels71; 04-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.
GMC4wheels71 is offline   Reply With Quote