View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #14
69GMC2004

Re: 1970 in the Great White North

Maybe against my better judgement I went with POR15 products for the frame, I realize it's designed to be paint over rust (which did work well on the old 5 lug 12 bolt I picked up for next to nothing), but in my mind I was convinced it would give me a more durable finish vs primer/paint. I used all of the POR15 products recommended and followed the directions to the letter, but I wasn't very impressed with the outcome. I used a foam brush, went slowly and applied thin layers. There are air bubbles EVERYWHERE! Not very impressive for a self leveling product. After each coat, you could distinctly tell where it was applied, I ended up with 3 different sheens: flat on the first coat, semi gloss on the second coat (I did buy the semi gloss stuff), and a high gloss anywhere that I tried to smooth out any runs. In addition to this, you can see in the photos where the finish appears to have had some sort of chemical reaction, nearly the entire frame is like this. After spending nearly $750 (Canadian dollars in case it seems like a lot) for sandblasting and the POR15 products I was incredibly disappointed with the way it turned out. The only good thing I can note about the POR15 is that once it is fully cured, it does seem quite durable, even though the appearance of chemical separation has me concerned. I handled some of the pieces intentionally rough without any noticeable marking of the finish, so I decided to just try and make it look pretty. I cut the larger air bubbles off with a razor blade and sanded the finish to try and hide the smaller stuff. I picked up some VHT Chassis rattle cans and laid a couple coats down. I REALLY like the way the VHT stuff turns out. It sprays well, and seems pretty durable for rattle can paint. Once that cured for a few days I decided that it was good enough for me, this wasn't going to be a show truck anyway.
Attached Images

69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote