View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #358
zicc1835

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Golly I'm in 4K for a transmission counting towing. I don't know which is worse compared to 2K for just a radiator counting towing as well. I'm probably in too close to 7K in do-overs.

The shop for the first rebuild filed down the reverse pin or something like, so it wouldn't engage. The new shop said perhaps that was done with the thought it would smooth out reverse, but regardless they messed up. The new shop said they had to replace the converter as well, and installed "something more heavy duty". They threw a rebuild kit at it, installed the Moroso gasket and ARP bolts, and said yes, the Allison approved fluid I'm using in the transmission is a good choice. Nice shop, great work, they R&R the transmission scratch-free to the tune of $1700.

Truck runs rougher than I'd like, but the next stop is for carb. tune and divorce choke. Then to a shop for alignment followed by an A/C charge. From there I get to install the grilles, and the bumpers I haven't selected yet. Came home from the shop to find my bench seat cover arrived, it's the exact material as it was new, wow. $900+ gets the same, and this one was ordered about 1 year ago.

I've developed a kit for how to build these from the ground up. The primary document is a 68 page assembly guide packed tight with details. The kit's nearly done pending installation of what remains. It's easier to say what it doesn't include. It doesn't go into the core of things short assembling drive shafts, oil pump, timing chain and some etcetera's. In other terms, it doesn't describe how to rebuild an engine, transmission, steering box etc. The document also doesn't ramble on like my posts☺, it's short and sweet with a rhythm to it.

Some background, I wrote business and system processes for many years. Other then research, the hard part was figuring out what everything was called; because all of this was new to me. At any rate, this document is the best I've written. Perhaps 1000s of original part numbers and identifications are captured by the guide and a document with part numbers. It includes approx. 650 images and illustrations as well.

I'm selling copies of the kit for $42.50, but heck, for board members let's say $32.50. If you're interested, you'll see that's money well spent, too many hours went into the development and research. More time was spent on that than building the truck itself.

Here's a Facebook page sampling some of the kit. Anyway, please let me know if interested. The kit will be ready by June. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091294598717
im going to have to have your kit I have 2 to finish and lord knows that are easier to take apart then to re assemble I have lots of pictures and labeled zip lock bags....additionally the aging process ...why did I go out to the garage syndrome is kicking in..... so count me in ...always nice to have another reference to verify
thanks for your efforts. lmk when available
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote