View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 12:38 AM   #500
Kronald_70GMC

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

I took a break from all the welding and grinding tonight to try and work out an idea that a friend gave me. I was planning to remove my ashtray and smooth out the dash there and he gave me a better idea. Why not remove all the inner workings of the ashtray and have the door hinge down to house some aftermarket switches and stuff. I figured that was a pretty cool idea and I've been brainstorming for a few days to figure out what sort of hinge would work for this. Today I went to visit my dad and he had an extra glove box hinge for his 58 impala. Looked perfect for the job, it even has an offset so that the door swings out and down instead of just straight down, giving me a ton of clearance between the bottom of the door and the dash. After some modifications to the ashtray door and shortening the hinge to fit, it looks like its going to work perfect. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to keep the hinge from swinging past 90°, how to keep the door from just falling open and how to attach the hinge to the very shallow door.
Attached Images

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote