View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 11:40 AM   #1
SCOTI

Bed Wood Guys: Painted Wood Question/s

Looking for some guys that have done a wood floor bed or two for some guidance regarding coverage of 'paint' as a coating vs. the type of wood used.

My specific question is regarding Oak... There are two common variations it seems for truck beds that can also be purchased through online sources from my recent browsing escapades. I noticed 'Oak' & 'Red Oak' listed frequently.

If a guy is painting the wood (Black or Aged/Ashy Gray if you need to know exact color possibilities), how drastic would the color shade difference be if you painted these two different types of Oak? And for reference, the paint would be over a sealer (POR or something similar).

My specific reasoning is in the event something needs replacement or repair & one is easier to obtain in a certain size vs the other would the Red-Oak yield a darker or different finish vs the regular Oak if placed side by side?

I can see Stains or Clears being impacted but not sure how an actual paint color w/solids over sealed would fare.

Looking for some hopeful been-there/done-that sort of input/experience please.

Thanks in advance!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote