View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #16
SCOTI

Re: Bed Wood Guys: Painted Wood Question/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I've done a few bed woods painted black, both in pine and oak but I'm not sure which variant of oak. If you don't a kit yet, check with Trucks USA in Abbeville SC, we get all of our floor kits from them and they fit great. All three of the bed floors in the pics were from there, they come pre-cut to size and sanded, you only have to drill the perimeter bolt holes once it's all installed. The middle mounting holes are pre-drilled.

Oak has deeper/more porous grain. Using a pore filler first would lessen this look and is necessary when staining and clearing, or you'll get air bubbles in the clear from the air in the pores expanding as the clear dries. I haven't had that issue with primer/paint.

Another with oak.

The grain still shows through paint with pine, but it's smoother than oak. This one was shot using a lower gloss paint than the other two. Seems to be more variation of grain pattern with pine than with oak.

Another in pine showing the differing grain patterns within the same kit.

Thanks for the input & source info. Those black floor examples are the look I'm working toward.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote