Thread: Ignition Timing
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
SeventyOne

Re: Ignition Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classics Fan View Post
Thanks for the reply and info. The black springs were coming in at 900 RPM, below the idle RPM I had set at the time and I could only get 12 degrees mechanical at 2200 RPM, not 20 as shown on the chart. Maybe the black/silver combo will get me more at a little higher RPM since I’ve since reduced idle to 850, but it doesn’t seem like enough.

I’ve read a lot of debate on ported versus manifold vacuum. I know by going to manifold I could reduce initial, but wouldn’t that defeat my quest for more total?

The Progression looks like a nice unit and would no doubt be fun to play with. However I’d rather not spend hundreds on a distributor right now and besides, I’m having too much fun learning and playing with the old-school analog one I already have.

Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Next question is why is your idle set so high? I've got a street/strip cam in my 383 and it idles at 800 when hot. A tamer build with an RV cam ought to idle fine below that...

And you dont have to reduce the initial w/ manifold vacuum but you had mentioned you were coming into starter issues at 16. It just allows you to run lower initial but with the vacuum advance in play AT idle you will have a peppier engine.

If you cant get the advertised 20* in the chart i'd try another product, personally. That's your true issue. Unless for some reason you have limiter bushing in place that should be smaller to allow for more mech advance...
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote