View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
Purcell69

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I really like what you've got going. Like others have already mentioned, due to the newer frame configuration, you will either need to raise the body mounts or raise the floor of the truck to recess the frame in to it. Personally, I would build the body mounts up to work with the stock cab floor. That is what I did. I can't stand a truck with a bed that is only 6" deep. I use my bed and don't like the look of the "non-functional" bed, but that is just personal preference.

The other issue will be track width. Your tires will stick out past the fenders to some extent. Some of this can be minimized with wheel offset, but unless you go to lengths to widen the body or flare the fenders, the tires will stick out. With tall/skinnys on stock offset wheels, mine stick out about 1.5" per side. Again, this is personal preference.

Getting the wheelbase to fit the body is the biggest part of the battle and it looks like you have a good start on that. You may need to extend the front and rear of the frame for your body mounts, but that can be done with some 10 gauge steel.

Since you have the original frame, you can replicate the profile of the frame rails using square tube laid across the new frame and then build your body mounts from there. Again, this was how I chose to do it.

I think this will be a great daily driver when you are done. Unique, reliable and easy to work on and enjoy. None of that is wrong. I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

The red truck is a local. I don't know what specific chassis he used but it is 1973-1987 GM 4x4 K10.

-Joe
Attached Images

Last edited by Purcell69; 10-28-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote