View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 01:33 PM   #32
djolley

Re: Headliner For 1972 Suburban 4X4

Woody-style headliner continued....

A couple of afterthoughts/details:

Spacing between the slats is exactly an inch. Slats themselves are 2 1/2 wide.

Long hem-fir trim along sides is positioned so their bottom edges align with the bottom edge of the side channel into which the vinyl material is tucked and shimmed.

Per the questions posted: Hem-fir strips were given the same color stain as the slats. It just took the stain a bit deeper for a darker tint Cross pieces were also given the same stain, but given two or three coats for a bit of color difference. Meanwhile, the front ends of the side trim pieces were cut at an angle, with the top edge kinda poking up into the gap between the windshield panel and the roof, and still leaving room for the visors. I'll take a detail pic of that and post. I found it useful to make a pattern for the cut angle using a scrap of the trim material (1 x 4) to test the fit. Likewise for the contour at the rear ends of the same pieces. Measure, measure, measure. Don't wanna miss on a ten-foot length of the fir! (Full disclosure: I bought spare pieces in case I goofed!). And yes, the cross pieces were tricky, but if shaved to 1/4 inch thickness they have enough flex to tweak and snap them into place.
djolley is offline   Reply With Quote