View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #150
toddoky

Re: Hooker Blackheart 1967-72 C10 Truck LS/LT Swap System Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeef61 View Post
I am looking for info on the Holley trans crossmembers for 71 c10. I was looking into the new TREMEC TKX transmission. They are based on the TKO. I don’t see the TKO mentioned in any of the c10 trans crossmembers. Another company says theirs will work that modeled for 700r4. Any advice for the Holley system?
We have not yet gotten a TKX transmission in here to be able to validate its fitment geometry, but if published reports of its mounting geometry being the same as the TKO are true, I can give you some guidance on what to expect.

The mount bolt holes/mating plane location on the TKO transmission is 1/4" further rearward than it is on a 700R4 and is 5/8" closer to the output shaft center line.

In theory, that means you could use a 700R4 crossmember with a 5/8" spacer under whatever mount the crossmember was designed to use to mount a 700R4 transmission. In practice however, this working out heavily depends on the design geometry of the crossmember in question as the mount pad on the TKO is located right up against the belly of the rear case and so may cause interference with some crossmembers, even though they fit fine with a 700R4.

The only way you are going to be certain is to roll the dice and try it, which is what I'll eventually have to do here with the crossmembers in the Hooker Blackheart swap systems. If the geometry of the current designs do not offer optimized installation geometry, then I will have to develop new specific crossmembers that will.
toddoky is offline   Reply With Quote