View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
'65 chevy lover

Re: factory power steering bracket and ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
The PO of my 1966 Fleetside added an old style power steering assembly (the kind with the control valve and ram cylinder). I decided to rebuild it, and that went fairly well except for two things.

First of all I noticed that the ram was attached to a home-made bracket that consisted of a short piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the underside of the frame. I am now searching for a factory original bracket, which looks like the one below. Does anybody know where I could get one of these? Does anyone, by chance, have one laying around?

Second, one of the ports on the ram cylinder was cross treaded (I might be to blame), so I bought a 7/16-24 tap and rethreaded the port. However, I don't think I got it quite straight and the inverted flare connection leaks no matter how tightly I turn the nut. I pulled the tiny seat inside the port and removed the groves, but this didn't help. Any ideas? If worse comes to worse, I guess I will have to replace the whole ram. Anyone have any luck finding a suitable replacement for a decent price?

Thanks for any help,
Robert

I think I may have the bracket you need. I had this same stock setup on my '65 but, removed it and replaced with the later model that uses the steering box for the hydrolics. If you can't find one let me know and I'll make sure I have it. If so, I'll give it to you for nothing...you just pay the shipping...let me know.
P.S. I'll look tonite and let you know for sure if I have it.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 10-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote