View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Questions about primers, prep and such, for parts

Not for body work, but brackets, horns etc.

Self-etching primer: I'm a bit confused when to use self-etching primer. I read where you sand first and then use the primer. I also read you only use self-etching primer on bare metal when you have not sanded.

Red scotch-bright pad: If down to metal, seems a red pad is a nice final surface prep. prior to cleaning, do you agree? If this is done, can I use a self-etching primer or self-etching chemical?

Self-etching Vs epoxy primer: perhaps I misunderstood, but I read where you use both in primers in some instances. I also read you use one or the other, not both.

Self-etching primer Vs self-etching chemical with epoxy: If either self-etching primer or epoxy primer................is it a basic rule of thumb that:

1. Do not use a self-etching chemical with self-etching primer.

2. Do use a self-etching chemical when using epoxy primer on bare metal.

Wax & grease remover: Is it a good idea to use wax & grease remover with either primer? How about wax & grease remover followed by a self-etching chemical?

Thank you.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-24-2017 at 02:46 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote