View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
oregondunerz

Re: 8.1 496 fuel injected in 66 suburbun

So here's my take on it.
I have an 8.1 that I intended on throwing in my '65 Chevelle project but I never got around to it. Just beware that they are sort of an odd duck. Yes it is a Big Block but they are not a "standard" GM BBC. You cannot bolt on heads or an intake from a conventional BBC, the holes will not line up. You will either have to keep the stock setup or go a little more custom. There is a company Raylarengine.com that makes alot of parts for the 8.1, mostly in the marine version but everything should work just fine for a street application. Pretty spendy stuff though!

As far as the oil pan, you will have to modify the stock truck pan slightly because they are HUGE in stock form. Once again, a "standard BBC" pan will not work to my knowlege. The 8.1 uses a different bolt pattern and a O-Ring type seal instead of a regular gasket setup.

I intended on running a Hogans sheetmetal intake with my reworked stock heads along with my FAST ECU. I'm sure you can make a LS ECU work as was suggested earlier in this post..?

If you plan on keeping it in "stock" form then I think it's a great plan! If you plan on swapping out crankshaft, camshafts, heads and intake to make BIG BIG power I would suggest just sticking with a standard BBC configuration. You will get a lot more bang for your buck.. Just my .02 cents of course.

Here's a pic of my 8.1 after it got back from the machine shop.

HEADS

-Exhaust ported and bowls cleaned up
-Went from stock 1.74 exhaust valves to Manley 1.88 stainless
-2.19 intake

BLOCK

-Decked
-Line bored
-Balanced
-Eagle rods
-Stock 4 3/8'' crank
-BHJ balancer
-JE pistons (9:1)