Thread: She is back.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #56
thelonerife

Re: She is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDon View Post
The metal fuel line has a jumper hose in the frame inboard of your third door and is an excellent place to plumb in a marine spin-on fuel filter ( available from West Marine or other online marine sources). This hose is bent in a "U" just like the jumper hose coming into the fuel pump, so check both of these to make sure they arent flattening out and sucking shut and that neither are leaking air. Any filtering should be done BEFORE the fuel pump! If you have a filter after the pump get clogged, it will shut down the flow from the pump...The 62 pickup I built for my son exhibited the same symptoms and what had happened there was....the truck had been inactive for several years and the fuel flow worked fine until our highly-solvent modern fuels loosened up the leftover crap in the lines turning it into a clogging goo, which I had to blow out with compressed air. Fuel hoses can also form annuerisms (a blister or flap inside) as they age....
As for ignition, I'll assume that you are using a points distributor, OR if you've switched to HEI, that you have replaced the resistance wire from the ignition switch with one that has no resistance. (HEI won't work without the full twelve volts) A common intermittant ignition problem with a points setup is the coil often fails intermittantly (usually when it warms up and you're a good distance from home) Don't ask me why, but if you remove the coil and shake it next to your ear and hear the oil sloshing inside, it's usually shot! There are other things to look for inside a distributor after these basics are covered!
Good Luck to you!
Very good advice...
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote