View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
kipps

Re: Royal Sierra or Spirit of '76?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan-man View Post
The reason I'm wanting to know is for restoration. Honestly I'm not sure if these trucks are really worth that much anymore fixed up unless it's more for sentimental reasons. I'm just trying to decide if I should go original or put own own little spin on things and fix it up a little more modern but no too modern. Anyone wanna post examples of their builds?
Ultimately, every truck build or restoration is your own. Don't do it for future resale value. You're almost guaranteed to be disappointed. If you want a concours correct restoration, absolutely do it, but only do it for your own enjoyment. Don't worry about whether other folks want it or not.

Your build depends completely on your intended use of the truck.
If you want to quickly sell it, just throw on new tires, new door seals, get the engine running good, and move it out the door.
If you're going to use the truck for a daily two-hour commute, lower it a little, add a LS engine, a good AC/heat system, nice cab insulation and interior, and a decent radio.
If you're using the truck for occasional trash runs, and otherwise it's just parked in the backyard shed, then replace the tires, adjust the brakes, and only do what you have to in order to be legal.
If you're planning to pull a gooseneck camper for a thousand miles per summer, swap the chassis for a c30, and install a big block or Cummins engine.
If your goal is a weekend cruiser and show-quality rig, then do your due diligence on researching the truck's history. Work through the SPID sticker for any info. Decode the VIN. Dig through the paint layers to figure out what colors the truck had originally. Etc. Etc.

You get the point.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with the truck. If I were making suggestions, I'd say paint it up in the Spirit-of-76 pattern if you like that color combo. It's definitely unique, and calls attention to the truck like few other paint schemes do. It just screams "1970s," which is great. Don't worry about whether it originally had that paint scheme or not. I'm suggesting painting it like that just because the truck is from the right time period, and it's a fun color combo. Don't sweat the interior details. Install a color-matching set(panels, dash, seat, etc) that's nice enough quality for date nights. Build the drivetrain and suspension to best meet your needs for the next 5 years. If in a few years, your needs have changed, then swap things around again. Don't be afraid of chassis swaps if that makes the most sense for your situation. These trucks are simply big-boy Legos. Their value is in their utilitarian adaptability, and the way they can be configured into anything from a tow rig, to a race car, to a trail buggy. Embrace that fact, and a lot of the stress goes away.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote