View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #15
cj847

Re: Floor shifter vs steering shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Many times those old 3-on-the-tree columns are worn out where there is a lot of metal-to-metal contact. Very few of the parts are available anymore. Not only that, but sometimes the pot metal "shift drum" where the shifter handle attaches is worn out or even cracked.

I spent countless hours researching parts and trying to rebuild an 82 column. Was able to reduce slop between rotating parts by using shim stock "honed" to size, and found some bronze bushings just the right size to snug up the the underhood lever-to-rod connections. But still needed some parts that simply weren't available. Of course, the situation might be different for 67-72 trucks.

Hopefully between yours and Andy's, you can make one good column. Good luck!
What he said. I rebuilt a 3sp column shifter on my 66 C10. It would "hang up" between gears due to slop. I was able to get it working after much research and some bearings, etc. There are a lot of internet videos of people with "fixes", most are helpful but not comprehensive. I am guessing yours was problematic, and the owner gave up and went with a floor shifter. So, expect some significant repairs.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote