View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Another annoying Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seik5 View Post
Thanks that diagram is exactly how my original system was wired. With the upgraded internally regulated 1 wire 100 amp. alternator and gauges I added a 6 gauge power wire back to the battery, So my question is What to do with the original red power wire at the alternator would it hurt to just leave it hooked up? I have removed the plug for the volt reg. And since I have a volt meter in my dash Would I just not use the blue and black in the little plug? I also upgraded the ground but see no reason to not use the old one along with the new one>
The wires in the plug for the regulator are not needed if you have a one- wire alt. They should be brown red white and blue. I would keep the brown and red in case you ever want to use a three wire alternator. the brown is the exciter wire for the alternator and the red is the voltage sensor for it.

Quote:
Ok thanks for the help guys, I ran a #6 wire through a fuse block and to a larger dist. post that I added. The Distribution Post IS WIRED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTER . I also added an extra # 6 Ground to the alternator. This all came in a Kit and worked really well.
Lets clarify this.
Your alternator is a one-wire with only the power output wire 6 ga. correct.
This wire is run to a distribution block: correct
Your battery also connects to the dist. block: correct
The original 12 ga. red wire on the alternator is not connected but runs to the original soldered junction in the circled diagram: correct?
The wires in the original diagram are still connected in the harness to the battery and the cab fuse box. Yes no.

This diagram is one I usually post when the question of a junction block(distributor block), is posted. I think you have something similar. You will notice that there is a smaller red wire from the alternator directly to the battery. Then a larger 4 ga wire to the main junction. The loads are all fed off the junction and the battery can still power the truck circuits in case the alternator fails. It would discharge quickly in that case, though.
If you still have the original soldered junction in the harness connected to the cab and the battery then you can just leave the original red wire connected on the alternator output terminal.

Name:  modified Wiring2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  33.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote