Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Short update.

I have posted a question about the Eaton rear cover here if you can help, Thanks!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...33#post6279533

I noted that my rear diff cover plug was a leaker too so i decided to try and make one, i found a piece of pipe and ground the threaded portion down to a rough knife edge and punched out the OD, then i found that that old ball joint adjusting sleeve was as close as i could get to matching the ID so i also ground the threads and spread it open with a chisel, the end result is a crude gasket that i hope will seal ok. After i made it tho i removed the old gasket to find that it appears to be a conical shape and not flat, I may reinstall the old seal and put my new homemade seal on top of it, not sure yet.

EDIT: Forgot to add that altho the parts place said i didn't need a gasket between the master and booster my Chiltons or Haynes manual (one or the other) clearly shows a picture with a gasket, but i don't think i need to bother with pulling it apart and adding one, the master and booster are sealed units after all.

My read disk conversion plates arrived and i picked them up today, the guy welded the hole shut and redrilled it, i hope its gonna be ok, one thing i didn't like was he ground the front and back surface of both plates so now they measure .010 thinner. I guess the calipers will have enough give in the rubber bushings.

I decided I'll reinstall the old dist shields after the disk conversion plates are back on and mocked up so i wire brushed the back side to remove rust, hit them with some phosphoric acid then painted the back side, i also wire brushed and painted the old protective spiral brake line cover.

I decided I'm going to give my hand at rebending some new rear brake lines rather than try to reshape and reuse the old ones, I've bent line before but not the large arc that would be stock around the diff cover. Need to go pick the lines up soon.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote