View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
HAULIN' IT

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Can you elaborate more on the purpose of the backer? Is this to help absorb heat, or support the patch before it goes in? I dont understand how it would help the shrinkage, if that is the root cause of the issue here.

Definitely agree with this statement. However I have already done cab corners, rockers, floor patches, pillars, cab supports on this truck. This is my first rodeo obviously but I was looking at this hole as one of my last "easy" metal work tasks.... (wrong!).
Im thinking you misunderstood what I have suggested. What I was referring to is to use a metal bonding adhesive & glue the piece in...not doing any welding at all. That way you can't/won't have any warping issues. The backer is to sit the patch on so it fits flush with the original Roof
I look at it this way, years ago someone made a mess by drilling the hole & then tightening down the antenna, raising up the area around it with the little bar/foot (Im guessing was the reason for you to cut the bigger hole?)...you didnt help matters by welding in the square cornered patch. Without cutting some inner cab away to properly work the weld area, the whole thing is going to be a compromise at best. The middle of a Roof (or Hood) is NOT the place to learn/practice...get something stuck in there to keep the water out & move on.
You may see a "ghost line" around you patch under certain light being the sun heat will be beating on it some, but the outcome for the situation (no access, somewhat limited tools & knowledge) I feel its the best answer. Like I said earlier, Ive done several antenna holes (Roof & Trunks) just like what you had starting out without a problem. A couple I just tapped down a bit & glued a piece on top. NOT Robert-like, but for a 6 or 8 year old ex-police car...it works real well
If its something you have interest in, I can go into detail of how to prep the parts, ect for the best results. My intentions are not to be-little your efforts or ability, just being a realist with the situation. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote