View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #38
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
One would have to see the panel first hand to weigh all the options. In many cases you'll find rust issues above a drip rail or above the windshield that stem from condensation gathering on the inside of the panel. If there were any such indicators at all, one might lean more toward a new roof skin, kill two (or three) birds with that one stone.
Id like to get more into the question asked by Greg, and the partial response quoted above and get some opinions on my greater cab situation.

I had 3 pinholes in the top roof skin, that I was able to make "pea sized" by gouging the weak metal with a screw driver. I also had a small pinhole behind one corner of my windshield that I also gouged to be slightly larger. After cutting this area out, I had a deposit of rust flakes in the corner. I also had a small pinhole area in this same corner in the flat metal above the door frame.

I also have some surface and lightly/mildly pitted rust in other areas above the doors and behind the windshield, but it seems to be superficial and I cant poke any holes.

Ill post a few pictures to back up this description, some are in-repair or already done.

My questions is - what is the likelihood I would continue to get additional rust coming through future paint? This truck will stay dry, and has for the last 20 years or so. I believe most of the rust issues developed the first 3 decades of this trucks life.

Most
Attached Images