View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #27
daveshilling

Re: 1959 Chevy Apache Short Step "Goldilocks"

Well after doing more research, it looks like the only way a Spicer 45 ends up here is when using Positraction, so that's pretty exciting! This is a somewhat rare option.... now I have to decide if I want to swap this into my GMC Suburban pickup that also has a Spicer 45, but didn't necessarily come factory with Positraction. They had the fast-cruising 3.07's back in 56, but no posi option...of course if I found a 3.07 gear set in there, it would stay!

While waiting for parts to arrive and taking a break from wrestling with doors (the passenger hinge pocket is also crap and the caged nut was set free to spin for eternity), I decided to see what else is wrong with this old girl.

I used a spare gauge cluster I had to replace a missing speedo needle and Both odo's looked bad, so I took the easy road here. I didn't have a new odo handy and I dont need to report miles to the DMV here, so eh.

I found some fried wires/melted plastic terminal insulators... not a good sign! Without rewiring the whole truck, anyone have a simple/economical how-to for adding a basic fuse block to a fuseless factory 59? The wiring is so strange with how things join at ammeters, on relays, etc. We really need a write-up on how to add some fusing and improve the factory wiring without needing an ez-wire and starting from scratch.
Attached Images

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote