Thread: 55.2-59 Ol' Blue
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 06:41 PM   #54
8man

Re: Ol' Blue

Ok, after a LOT of checking level, here is what I have:

IMG_1514 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

TCI Engineering crossmember tacked in place. The truck frame rails are 2 degrees down rear to front on the driver's side, and 3 degrees down on the rider's side. The frame is level side to side at the radiator support, the old crossmember and at the rear. If you look at the crossmember you can see the lower A-arms in place, upside down, as the instructions said to do it. The pipe the bolt goes through at the end of the crossmember is 0 degrees on both sides, and the middle of the crossmember is at 0 degrees front to rear as instructed and the new crossmember is 0 degrees side to side.

So, after reading the instructions over and over, and watching the one YouTube video over and over again, I think that is right.

Then I put a plumb bob in the back of the truck, centered and measured from the grease fitting that is on the top side right now since the A-arms are upside down as instructed, and the measurement from each to the plumb bob is within 1/16"!

I'm going to weld it in place next time I fire up the welder.

If you look to the front of the frame, you may make out the brace I'm building to go there. It is in front of the old crossmember, and just about 2" in front of the front rivet on the radiator mount. I found some old brackets from one of the frames and it had the right bend, so I drilled 4 holes in them and mounted them to the old front shackle holes. I am using the old spare tire crossmember for the front, then welding a piece of 1/4 x 1 x 2 square tubing to that spare tire carrier, then I'm welding a piece of 3/8 x 1 tubing to the top of the first tube. I think the idea is to keep the frame from spreading and I think that should do it, since the brackets going to be bolted to the frame are the same thickness as the frame.

Anyway, feels good to get that crossmember leveled like the instruction say, now to weld it!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote