View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
Second Series

Re: Mechanical speedometer drive solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
If you'll PM me your address, I'll send you a stepper motor with a built in optical tachometer for feedback to your controller. It's RPM range is good up to about 120 MPH (2000 RPM). I was going to do this a few years back and sourced a couple of motors. In my case, I decided it was just easier to use a mid-90s GM speedometer and re-face it for my application. But, you obviously know what you're doing. If you can put the motor to good use, you can have it.

You're pretty much going to have to machine a fitting for this. I've never seen anything off the shelf that would work without some modification. I was going to machine a coupler to attach the motor directly to the gauge (and eliminate the cable and the resistance that comes along with it). I have access to the tools to make such a fitting, but, again, I just said forget it and went the route of least resistance.

Very generous offer, Thanks! PM sent. I'm interested in comparing the different motors and how the speedo reacts. Once I get the circuit down, I can take the IC off the arduino, and mount it to a new pcb.
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote