View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #240
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Thank you 88. Two items on this truck left me scratching my head for years, one how to fit rear bumper brackets & the other a divorce for this operation. Didn't find either when I tore her down. Both issues seem to have been solved yesterday, I fitted the modified brackets, and picked up the choke & overhauled Rochester.

Leaf springs on a 2WD SWB is not a blessing. It's a rare frame, and they don't sell bumper brackets for these frames, despite claiming otherwise. Anyway, this is how I got "coil spring" type brackets to work. Luck has it I had the OEM outer brackets and found NOS inner brackets off a board member, for a "coil spring" frame.

I think a shim in the form of a washer is in order for this application, fit between the frame rail on outer brackets. It improves the alignment and should help avoid a disappointment when the brackets are torqued to the frame. Dummy bent this bumper when he installed it on the wrong brackets 30 years ago, what a disaster all the way around. Note to self, install the bumper side first

Curious if anyone can measure from the lower rear bed to the top of the bumper on their factory installed sport bumpers. I think this has to be close or nuts, any further mod pending installation of the bed. Thank you.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-31-2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Corrected math error in caption...whoops
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote