View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Re: Pic Thread: Ads & Lit

In about 1973 or 74 I was in my teens, went to work for Commercial Engine Service in Gardena Cal, my job desription was tear down engines and get them ready for rebuild. They were the southern cal detroit shop, they aquired a contract from the navy to rebuild 110 engines out of PT boats, they were 671"s with graymarine transmissions on them. My job was to tear down 2 engines and trans, put the iron in the hot tanks and the aluminum in the cold tanks, before I did that I had to pull the 2 engines and trans from the tanks from the day before and scrape all the gasket surfaces ready to build. After 2 months I could have won the world champion for the fastest time disassembling a 671 detroit engine. To bad they didn't teach me to put them back together, I didn't care to stay in LA that long. I still think about all the PT boats in ww2 that ran 671"s let alone the landing craft, mine sweepers and that must be a fraction of the equipment that used detroits. Without them we may not have won WW2 so some people shouldn"t bad mouth them so much. Long live detroit diesels.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote