View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
dmulally

Re: Vortec 5.7 Mystery Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If its a stock timing cover, did you plug the crank sensor hole somehow?
If its a metal cover, did you remove the crankshaft reluctor ring that triggers the crank sensor?
It sounds bad. I'd take that engine apart.
This is the first I'm hearing about this one. I'll have to investigate it more. I'm guessing it is that plug at the bottom of the harmonic balancer? What should I be doing with it? I figured leaving the sensor/plug sitting there would do nothing.

The engine was from an Importer (I'm in New Zealand) and is under warranty. I'm hoping to fix it as it has good compression and it will be a ball ache to take it out and ship it back to the South Island.

Edit: So I went to pull the dipstick out as it is a mile long and was quite difficult to get to slide back in when filling with oil originally. Hit the starter and just grinding. I have the inspection plate off already but will hone in on the starter to see if that is the problem. The flexplate is new and not wobbling but at rest the ring gear is very close to the teeth of the starter. In my experience usually it makes a high pitch grinding noise but I'm curious. Hopefully my old 283 mini high torque starter is a bolt on swap and I can test with that.

Last edited by dmulally; 05-21-2022 at 03:18 PM.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote