Thread: 47-55.1 Rear roll pan
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #41
leegreen

Re: Rear roll pan

Easiest option is to cut a section from a rusted out stake pocket

for a easy fabricated version I'd probably skip the curve and make it straight. Bend the U shape with a wood block and vice, grind some 1/4" flat stock into beads to weld on. Or just tack on some 1/4 round stock for shape and fill the edges with filler sanded round and only take pictures when it is done. Even 'pros' do stuff like that.

next harder would be curved, making u shape out of three pieces of sheet bent and tacked together, then add beads from solid stock as above. if it was curved inwards as I showed above, the beads could probably just be a couple inches long and taper to a point.

Third option might be to bend the beads out of 1/2" round stock and weld sheet metal to them.

I don't think hammer forming the double beads would be easy, but hammer forming for the 54 and newer stake style that did not have beads would be viable.
You could make a die out of a bolt, a form out of a block of wood with a groove and hammer the beads into flat stock then bend the sides. I was able to crudely bead some 1/8" sheet with an air hammer and a shape to pound it into.

But most importantly: don't let the Internet talk you into making your project larger than you need it to be.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote