View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Re: HD Roof Rack On Suburban

I've been rethinking this. It's looking more and more like setting up a trailer is my best bet. I was a siding contractor for decades but, honestly, if I get a whole house siding job a year now I fee lucky. I don't want to hang it up and when I get a job I need to haul 24'-30' equipment. I never wanted to be married to a trailer. Most of the time I only carry a 24' ladder and occasionally a 32'. As it is I have a beefy little 10' utility trailer with 2' detachable sides of 2" tube & expanded steel, including a same height tailgate. So, I can carry my 18' pump jack poles and 18' walkboard in the center slid forward. Maybe the thing to do is buy those cleats Thule sells and two sets of cross bars (to get three) to carry a ladder or two that I can mount a cool cargo rack or kayak mounts to for recreational purposes. I'd like a tandem flatbed trailer 14' long and build a rack on that. The only time I won't like that is when there is no place to leave my trailer at the job. There was a time when my scaffold was either on the job or on the truck headed for the next job. These days it sits on a rack at my house made of 4x4 posts with 2x4 cross members. Not the prettiest thing to look at, but since I lost my building I rented on a farm that's how it is. I could get rid of that and just keep it on the trailer. Also, If the Suburban is down I can just hook up to another truck. I was really wanting to create a custom & unique cool looking Suburban work truck with a low profile rack that would turn people's heads. But, maybe it's not in the cards after all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote