View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
lks dcvn

door to fender alignment - 71 4wd Blazer - pix inside

I'm having some trouble aligning the front of the door to the rear of the front fender on the passenger side of my blazer project - larger gap than I would like at the top where the cowl panel meets.

I have tried using both the OEM fender that was on it before I started and a replacement fender and they are both similar in fit - so thinking I may need to pull the door forward in the opening (toward the hood), but that will throw off the gap to the rear quarter.
  • body mounts and bolts - replaced all new - shimmed as needed before starting any rust repair
  • prior to starting rust repair - installed and aligned new AMD doors that I would be using after body work was completed using rebuilt OEM hinges
  • there is no shim at the floor body mount - just the bolt and the mount. there was no shim there when I replaced them either. I would have considered removing a shim here to get the front to settle down a bit.
  • top was bolted on truck and doors aligned to shut normal before starting on any rust repair
  • rust repaired in floor, cab mount, a-pillar and kick panel.
  • alignment to rear quarter - consistent (top to bottom) you can push door closed and it will latch easily - just like before rust repair started
  • swapped old door hinges for another set of OEM hinges that were already rebuilt when initially installing doors prior to body work
  • the old doors on it prior to me starting the rust repair were not OEM
  • cowl panel is just loosely bolted in to show reference to surrounding sheet metal

Some before/after pix for reference.

My options appear to be:
  1. drop a-pillar down a bit to enable gaps to close (no shims to remove though - so unclear how I would settle this area downward)
  2. move door forward in pocket - throwing off the b-pillar alignment with quarter panel
  3. elongate holes in fender and tip top of fender in to close gap - shim at core support
  4. weld filler panel on front of door to close gap near fender (I'd rather not if I can help it)
  5. live with the 1/4" gap in that area?
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote