View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
1976gmc20

Re: Newer IFS front axle system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Yes if the truck was under warranty it could void that part of the warranty.

As far as how fast the system engages, it happens in only a couple of seconds or less.

Super duty fords do have lockout hubs. They are vacuum actuated automatically but can be locked manually.
I wonder if you could put it in 4wd and then shut it off and "accidentally" unplug the actuator Probably the computer would have a fit

Years ago our VFD had a ~94 one ton wildland fire engine that the wire got unplugged, probably by driving through sagebrush. With all that weight of water and pump etc in the back we didn't notice it for several days driving around a fire scene in low range, until one evening we tried to drive up a Cat trail. It spun out the rear wheels, and I had to back down the cliff a ways and manage to turn around in a really precarious spot. At the time I had no idea about those stupid actuators, and later another more knowledgeable volunteer checked it out and plugged it back in.

That truck has long been replaced. I actually thought about bidding on it from the county, but it had been used hard - the frame had been cracked and welded and stuff like the lights and wipers didn't work right. Later I got my K1500 from a neighbor after her divorce for $800. It needed a few things I've got it going pretty good now but it just seems like a poor candidate to fix up well enough to make a road trip truck out of it. At my age, sometimes I think would like to buy a new or at least a later model pickup that I wouldn't have to fix up and work on all the time.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote