View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #14
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Newer IFS front axle system?

I don't work at the dealer in Pueblo. I'm at the dealer west of there the next town over.

I'm no Dodge expert for that matter, but been within GM at the corporate level or dealer level for close to 25 years now. GM's systems only require a shift to neutral when shifting between 4hi and 4lo and vise versa. Shifts from 2hi to Auto4wd or 4hi can be done on the fly all the way to highway speeds.

I totally agree with MalibuSSwagon. The new tech works. It's not to say there can be problems that arise, but my experience is that proper maintenance and use periodically allows the system to function when you need it. The old systems had their issues too. Auto locking hubs were problematic on the squarebody trucks and often pitched in the can for manual locking hubs for reliability. Just like the new stuff, if the old stuff didn't have a traction device in each axle, you could still end up with 1 wheel spinning on each axle even though you are in "4wd".

Honestly, if you are concerned about the 4wd working when you need it, that's the least of your problems. The rest of the trucks, even the base models are so loaded with new technology it might blow your mind. Honestly in the wrong hands it's overwhelming. I see it on a regular basis where the vehicle has more capability in technology that some people can grasp. I'm not saying that as an insult, but as a matter of fact. These are the same people that avoid smartphones for flip phones or no cell phone at all. They may or may not use a computer at home.

Lane keep assist where the truck "sees" you wandering out of your lane and steers the vehicle back within the lines is freaky the first time you feel the steering wheel move without input. Add a haptic motor in the seat to shake the seat cushion on the side you are wandering into so you pay attention and steer back straight. Smart cruise controls that use radar to sense distance to the car in front of you and match speed to maintain a specific following distance and input the brakes to slow down when the car in front of you slows down.

There's so many safety systems now to help avoid an accident and limit the use of airbags and seat belt pretensioners is crazy compared to even 5 years ago.

So if you distrust a tried and true 4wd system that's been in use for close to 25 years you really are not going to like the rest of the really "new" tech these modern trucks have. I'd stick to looking for a low mileage GMT800 truck built between 2001-2007 where you get rock solid engineering in a better frame, better powertrains with the LS engines and better ergonomics in the interior than the GMT400 trucks before them without as much of the added in technology that the later trucks are saturated with.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote