Thread: 55.2-59 3 Point Seat Belts
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 3 Point Seat Belts

I installed three point shoulder belts in my big window '55. It's somewhere in my build thread but I'll post the pics again here in case someone does a search in the future.

The pillars in these trucks is nothing more than folded sheet metal. The cost of owning and driving any 60+ year old vehicle is in a serious accident you ARE going to get hurt to some degree. Metal dash boards, non collapsing steering columns and protruding metal knobs are completely unforgivable to flesh and bone.

That said, I still want to keep my face from meeting the steering wheel in a violent crash. Note that you should not make the one mistake I made. Do NOT put the mount location for the shoulder belt in the center of the pillar. It seems logical that you should but by doing this the hanger for the belt cannot hang straight down. It bumps against the metal of the window surround. This makes the belt a pain to pull out and retract. It still works, I just have to fiddle with it every time.

PS: Sorry the first pic rotated and is a bit out of focus but you can see there's nothing in there. I used a 1/8" by 6" piece of strap with an ordinary lug nut welded to it. It was TIG welded to the piece of sheet metal, then the sheet metal TIG'd back into its original spot and smoothed over. Hope this helps someone, Dan
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 01-03-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote