View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #35
Nick_R_23

Re: 1978 Chevy K20 longbed with nearly 500,000 miles! LS Swap begins!

Mounted and torqued the transfer case shifter.

Installed the boots, shift knobs, and the trim ring that came in.

This isn't exactly restoration correct, but I remember my dad adding this way back when I was a little kid. I thought it would be a neat touch to put it back on!

Cut and trimmed, perfect fit! I think it's pretty funny the odd details that get remembered!

I forgot to take a picture of the installed sensor, but I removed the rear coolant plug and installed a turned down 1979 coolant sensor to run the gauges. The factory CTS will be for the EFI system.

Made another parts store run and picked up some fluid for the transmission and transfer case, miscellaneous clamps that will be for different things throughout the rest of this build, and some 3/4" heater hose. I already had a perfect length of 5/8" hose!

I robbed the heater hose stand from the 2013 5.3L, since that project will not be utilizing a heater, and bolted it to the inner fender to keep the hoses away from rubbing on it.

Both hoses installed!

So, I realized something very interesting about the radiator I picked up. This is the part number if anyone wants to use this!

New radiator! But wait, does anyone see what I'm seeing?

This radiator includes a 1/8" NPT port for a steam line! I was planning on tying into the heater hoses, but this will make it much easier!

I cleaned up the radiator upper mount.

Bolted in place, radiator is installed!

I went to Autozone and picked up this 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barb adapter, and two 5/16" block off caps for the transmission cooler ports, since they won't be used with this swap. Not really necessary, but it does make it look better! Also snagged a new radiator cap and some wiring bits for later on.

Adapter and caps installed in the radiator. Who knew it would ever be this simple?!

And the radiator cap to make sure any stray coolant doesn't get in until I'm done hooking up the hoses.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote