View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
padresag

Re: 4x4 Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwernquist View Post
Ive been browsing the forums using hte search and havent been able to find any successful 1961 GMC 4x4 Power Steering conversions. I know its been said to be done but I havent been able to find what exactly I need.

So far : Items I have
Later Power Steering Box + Pump brackets all the hardware for pulleys etc.

What I dont have is what goes from the new steering box to the steering assembly on the hub ?

I read that you need to change the front crossmember with a later model one is that correct? Anyone know the years I can use and does anyone have any pictures of their 4x4 conversions?

Thanks
Jonny
is it a 4 x 4 steering box? did it com with the pitman arn, the arm off of the strg box. next you will need a drag link between that arm and the arm coming off the top of the frt k/pin. use the newer style drag link but you will have to modify the frt steering arm to acccept the new style end from the drag link like this

this one is available
I take it that your truck has the tubular crossmember under the frt of the eng where the frt of the eng mounts. in order to mount the p/s pump in the stock location you will have to go to side mounting on your eng as he pump will mount in the holes where the frt eng mount now attaches to
there are aftermarket p/s pump brkts avail perhaps that may fit your application, depending on what year your eng is- later model engs had mounting holes on the frt of cyl heads which 283 didn't have.
for eng mounting one could put in a 67-72 eng crossmember like one in picture

those are the options and if you have any questions,ask. think that there was also a thread on this not to long ago. the Capt can add to this
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote